• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Sister's body problem

Prodigycan

Ex-Bluelighter
My sister has lost alot of bone density and weight. She wants to get all that back through working out. can u please give me a detailed outline or schedule in terms of how many reps and sets she should do of each specific exercise. This will really give her confidence again and love for life, please ladies im sure u know what im talking about so please help her. Thank you all so much in advance. video clips would be much appreciated as well.

Well striking things, such as with punches and kicks, helps to strengthen bones. As for weight gain, eating a lot and exercising is going to get you to a healthy weight. Basically, I'd recommend some kind of martial art (not necessarily a contact oriented one, just one focused on throwing strikes)...

wow only one answer??? where are the girl's who faced similar problems or know other girl's with similar problems? please help BL

Depends how she's lost that weight (doesn't have to be specific if it's sensitive), depends what exercise she can support at the moment, any dietary concerns she may have and her current state of health (probably the most important).

Any more info?

Diet will be very important to her as well as strengthening exercises. Can she talk to a dietician or something about this?? Calcium is the main thing that comes to mind that she will need a lot of.

As far as building strength, she should definitely do some weight training, but she shouldn't go all crazy if it has been a long time. For building strength (as opposed to toning, which is what most girls are more interested in, I think), she needs to do lower reps at a higher weight. Most important is going to be her form - slow, steady, controlled reps, pushing forward until failure but not pain.

Classes to build up her endurance would be nice. If she joins a gym, something like kick-boxing or fit-kick would be good for her.

In your post, you're asking someone else to do a lot of work for you in looking up videos and describing something in detail that they couldn't describe accurately anyway. Workout routines totally depend on the person, in my opinion. If your sister wants to develop a workout routine to get her where she wants to be, she should hire a personal trainer and maybe even a dietician. If she doesn't have the cash for a trainer, she should try to find a girlfriend/gym buddy to help her out. Diet is really important, as n3o mentioned - lots of veg, especially dark green leafy veg for the calcium, lots of protein for building up her muscle tone, etc.

pushing forward until failure but not pain.

I don't get what that means. i thought failure was pain. i heard you shouldn't push to failure every time. bad for the body. am I wrong?

why did she loose alot of bone density and weight? a condition? I believe the best all around low impact workout is swimming. it takes stress off the joints and bones too.

you asked for a specific workout without explaining what her goals are or what you expect she would achieve from this.....

I don't get what that means. i thought failure was pain. i heard you shouldn't push to failure every time. bad for the body. am I wrong?

why did she loose alot of bone density and weight? a condition? I believe the best all around low impact workout is swimming. it takes stress off the joints and bones too.

you asked for a specific workout without explaining what her goals are or what you expect she would achieve from this.....

Failure means until you can't lift anymore and still maintain good form. Not because of pain - anytime you feel pain, you should stop, as that's your body's way of saying, "Something's wrong here."

When I do weight training, I do any motion very slowly and in a controlled fashion. I do repetitions until the point just before I can't continue and maintain my form. I think form is extremely important - people sometimes just keep on lifting even if their arms/back/whatever body part are/is not straight anymore - this is what causes injuries, as far as I know - overexertion or doing a motion incorrectly.

Someone who knows more than I do can correct me if I'm wrong!

For example, yesterday I was doing bicep curls, and I noticed that I couldn't lift anymore without bending my elbow a little bit. This is "failure"; when I know I shouldn't continue because if I do, my form will be poor!

^Maybe I'm using the wrong word? :) I don't know! I'm not exactly a fountain of knowledge on this subject.